- Stay Among Wild Polar BearsSpend two nights at the Tundra Lodge, placed each season where polar bear density is highest—then return to the hub of activity in Churchill
- Experience Northern CultureExplore the subarctic frontier town of Churchill, once a Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post, and go dog sledding with a renowned local musher
- Search for Bears & Other Arctic WildlifeFrom the Tundra Lodge, embark on polar bear safaris in our custom Polar Rovers, designed to facilitate the closest encounters
What Makes This Polar Bear Adventure So Exceptional?
- The Best Polar Bear Viewing Spot on the Planet!
Each September, our Tundra Lodge is strategically placed on a small spit of land that juts into Hudson Bay. This is where the sea ice first begins to form, attracting polar bears at the start of the bear-viewing season. The Tundra Lodge is set amid the highest polar bear density in the world.
- Private Cabins & Spacious Viewing Areas for Bear Observation
You won't find a more comfortable way to spend leisurely time watching polar bears than from the Tundra Lodge. Aboard this unique hotel with accommodations fashioned after train sleeper cars, each guest has an individual cabin with sleeping berth and a window for private bear observation. The lounge also features large windows so you'll never miss any action.
- Outdoor Viewing Platforms Facilitate Safe Close Encounters
Watch bears in the open air from outdoor viewing platforms with see-through steel-mesh decking—bears sometimes wander directly beneath! These platforms provide a safe alternative for outdoor viewing since we can't walk on the ground among the bears.
- Exclusive Permits for the Best Bear-Viewing Area
There are just two operators with exclusive permits to access the entire Churchill Wildlife Management Area (WMA) where the best—and sometimes only—polar bear viewing occurs. And of course, the Nat Hab/Great White Bear team possesses such a permit. Other operators use school-bus-type vehicles that are confined to the paved and gravel road to Halfway Point—which, as the name suggests, is only halfway to the prime polar bear area. If you're coming to Churchill to see polar bears, be sure you choose a company that offers a full experience.
- Travel with Two Naturalist Expedition Leaders
Ensuring the richest interpretive experience and exceptional personal attention, two Nat Hab Expedition Leaders guide this trip. Their in-depth knowledge and experience mean better, closer and more inspiring encounters with the northern landscape and its Arctic wildlife. You won't find a better guide-to-guest ratio!
- Our Polar Rovers are the Most Impressive Vehicles in the North
Our custom-built Polar Rovers have an advanced drive train that allows us to safely traverse the tundra with virtually no chance of breakdown, plus a custom-designed heavy-duty suspension system that evens out the ride over rugged terrain. And, with onboard flush toilets, our guests enjoy a superior level of comfort.
- Steel Mesh Decking Facilitates Close-Up Polar Bear Viewing
Built into the rear viewing platform of every Polar Rover—and into the platforms that separate the individual "cars" of the Tundra Lodge—is a pioneering feature that greatly enhances our opportunities to watch polar bears up close: corrugated steel-mesh floors, allowing close proximity to curious bears that sometimes walk underneath the platforms!
- The Smallest Groups for a Superior Nature Adventure
While it may cost us more to offer, the benefits of a small group are well worth it. Inside the Tundra Lodge, which accommodates 29 guests, there's plenty of room to view bears through sliding windows and from the spacious deck. And while our Polar Rovers can hold 30-plus passengers, we generally travel with just 15 per vehicle on excursions from the Tundra Lodge. Every guest has plenty of space to spread out, angle for photos, and enjoy watching polar bears without being bumped by other travelers.
- Private Chartered Flights Maximize Our Time with the Bears
To achieve the most time with polar bears, rather than making you wait around airports and endure the hassle of security screenings, we charter our own aircraft to take us directly from Winnipeg to Churchill at a time that works best for our itinerary.
- The Finest Naturalist Guides on the Planet
Natural Habitat Adventures is known for employing the top guides in the industry. Our Expedition Leaders average more than 10 seasons guiding polar bear tours. They also receive additional training from WWF scientists—you won't find more knowledgeable guides in Churchill! These congenial professionals meet each guest in Winnipeg and travel with the group throughout the trip, sharing a multitude of insights. Our philosophy is simple: a nature adventure is only as good as the guide who leads it, so we must provide the best! See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Local Cultural Experiences Enhance Your Adventure
We've been taking travelers to Churchill for decades, and we've built close relationships with the local people. As a result, our guests get exclusive opportunities to meet revered elders of First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities. Many of these Indigenous storytellers are among the last of their generation, and they have graciously agreed to share their history and traditions with our guests.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Polar Bear Experience
You receive Natural Habitat Adventures' exclusive guarantee that clearly states we will meet the high expectations set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is World Wildlife Fund's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the world's leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!